Scholarship Application Form
The Virginia Chapter of AFSA is pleased to offer this scholarship to a current High School senior planning to attend college, career training or other approved educational institution in the fall. This scholarship opportunity is extended to seniors related to a member of the fire sprinkler industry (see general terms #3 for further details). For the 2022 – 23 school year, we are offering one $1,000.00 scholarship to be awarded for educational purposes. To apply, fill out the application entirely and review the general terms and conditions. Include a brief essay about how this scholarship will help you reach your goals. Please also include why AFSA should make this investment in you and your future. Attach the essay to this application and send as a single file to the email address noted below
The following general terms and conditions apply to the Scholarship through the AFSA Virginia Chapter (herein referred to as AFSA). The scholarship is intended for the purpose of assisting a student who has a family member currently working in the fire sprinkler industry. Although applicants are not required to pursue educational goals associated with fire protection, it is encouraged and will be considered as part of the application.
1. All applicants must be at least 18 years of age and be of sound mind to make decisions on their own behalf. Applicants under 18 years old should have a parent or guardian review the application with them. This scholarship is non-transferrable.
2. The application must be completed in full and submitted by the deadline for that award period to be considered. Additional criteria or documentation for this scholarship may be requested by AFSA. Current period is January 1 st to April 30 th of each calendar year. The Scholarship committee will choose the recipient and announce the award by May 31st.
3. To be eligible for this scholarship, the applicant must be a relative of an employee that is actively employed with a current member of the Fire Sprinkler Industry. An industry member includes contractors, product manufacturers, authorities having jurisdiction, or designer/engineer.
4. Once the recipient is determined as qualified by a majority vote of at least three board members of AFSA, the scholarship amount will be a one-time disbursement by handwritten check from the AFSA Treasurer.
5. Scholarship may be used by the recipient for the purpose of covering educational expenses associated with the pursuit of their education goals either through an accredited college or trade school. Although it is preferred applicants for this scholarship pursue fire protection industry education, it is not a requirement of the scholarship recipient. Terms and Conditions may change at the discretion of the AFSA board members. The AFSA board will determine if the scholarship will be offered for subsequent periods.
6. Recipient must request award and attend the school of their choice within 365 calendar days of being the winning recipient.
7. All eligibility requirements must be met by the student at the application deadline.
8. This scholarship is not associated with any other scholarships.
9. Scholarship recipient will be chosen by the scholarship committee based on review of a brief essay from the applicants. The committee will select an applicant who’s essay details why the applicant deserves this award and how they plan to apply the funds. Essays will not be judged on grammar or literary skill. All decisions are final.
10. The winner will be contacted by the Treasurer of AFSA using the contact information listed on the application. If intended recipient does not respond to the Treasurer within two weeks of notice, one attempt to contact the recipient shall be made by the Executive Director of the AFSA board. Each attempt or contact with intended recipient shall be documented. If the recipient does not respond within 7 days of contact by the Executive Director, another recipient will be selected from the applications received.
11. Applicants are expected to be in good academic standing in their current school year.
12. Recipients are encouraged to consult with a tax advisor as to whether this is a taxable scholarship to them. AFSA accepts no taxable liability associated with this scholarship.
13. The successful recipient of this scholarship will receive an email detailing the scholarship benefits and payment timing. If the applicant choses to not accept the scholarship they shall advise the AFSA board immediately in writing. Recipient may cancel their application or receipt of the scholarship at any time with written communications addressed to the AFSA Executive Director.
14. AFSA reserves the right to cancel this scholarship at any time and change the terms and conditions as its board members see fit with majority vote of at least three board members present. Information shall be noted in board meeting minutes. AFSA Board will vote yearly to determine if scholarship will be available for the coming period. If funds are not available as determined by the AFSA board, the scholarship will not be awarded.
15. Current scholarship to be awarded once per calendar year and only one applicant shall receive the scholarship. Applicants are eligible to apply for subsequent year scholarship, when applicable. This includes the recipient of the scholarship.
16. Funds will be paid directly to the scholarship recipient and the check will be made payable to the name on the application for which the scholarship was awarded. AFSA is not responsible for any other contributions, disbursements, etc to recipient.
17. If applicant’s information should change from the information placed on their original application, it is their responsibility to notify the AFSA board.
18. Deferment of scholarship shall not exceed the 365 calendar days from date of award. There are no course load requirements and/or grade point average (GPA) requirements for this scholarship.
19. By submitting this application, applicants agree to allow AFSA to share their details including name, school, photograph, video and scholarship awarded. Applicant understands this may be used by the AFSA organization for promotional purposes without further compensation or documentation. If applicant does not wish for their details to be used promotional purposes, they must notify AFSA in writing.
20. Applicants who submit their application agree to waive, release, and discharge the American Fire Sprinkler Associations to include local chapters, affiliates, parents, volunteers, employees, contractors, associates, designers, authority having jurisdiction, etc. from any and all liability, including but not limited to, any liability arising from the negligence or fault of the entities or per sons released, for death, disability, personal injury, property damage, property theft, or actions of any kind which may occur during or after the scholarship period
21. The AFSA Virginia Chapter is pleased to offer this scholarship on behalf of our members. We encourage you to seek more information about our life-saving industry, the organizations within it, and the career opportunities waiting. If you would like to learn more about AFSA or the fire protection industry visit our national association’s website at www.firesprinkler.org or our local chapter website: www.virginiaafsa.org.
22. By applying for this scholarship, applicant acknowledges, understands and shall comply with all terms and conditions set forth herein