Minutes of Members Meeting #157 June 7, 2022
Our June AFSA Members Meting at Old Dominion Raceway in Thornburg, VA was called to order by AFSA VA Chapter President Bob Beckwith at 10:00am.
AFSA members and guests present included:
Bob Beckwith – United Sprinkler
Hooper Loscomb—Eagle Fire
Craig Smith – Ferguson Fire
Jeff Lewis – VSC
Steve McGee – ACI
Chris Amorese – JCI
Bruce Allen – Hajoca
Danielle Fowler – Potter Electric
Chris Born – Clark Nexson
Louie Perkins – FLSA
Joe Colleton – VSC
Danny Genry – Service Trade
Bec Cocke – HCPS
Mac Beaton – HCPS
Dave Coe – Ext. Fire
David Fleming – Ext. Fire
Jill Mott – Cavalier Fire
Leo Vallie – Cavalier Fire
Jason Gill – Crews & Gregory Fire
Brian Welteroth – BJW Engineering
Joe Shaffer – AFS
Chad Waldridge – Core & Main
Tim Terry – Ocean Fire
Chris Stone – VSC
George Bogris – Mintzer, Sarowitz, & Meyer
Bob Beckwith, President, welcomed members and guests. And ask everyone to introduce themselves.
Craig Smith, Treasurer, reported that the AFSA Checking account held $25,034.11and the AFSA Janney investment account held $56,305.95
Ed Rhoades attended the latest Board of Contractor’s Meeting. Based on meeting minutes there has been Regulatory Meetings from Code Compliance Officials. Specifically, regarding Residential Sprinklers on what Codes will be approved. Hooper has drafted a letter for the VA Chapter to review then to present to the Board of Contractors stating sprinklers designation needs to be separated from the plumbing requirements. Hooper was involved in (2) technical committees; the 1st meeting, to layout NICET requirements; 2nd meeting, Chip Holist w/ NICET discuss what is required for NICET to prove CEU’s and how to be shown.
Discussion as to how to produce a simple receipt for members to collect certificates for attending. Information required, date, attendee, program, and the hours of the meeting. Bob to inform members the VA Chapter will provide certificates at the conclusion of our members meeting.
NFPA Testing Program that is comparable to NICET has been approved by the Board and expected to be available by July 1st.
New Virginia Code 108 requires some jurisdictions to for sprinkler contractor to provide permit drawings repair sprinkler systems. Extended discussion on the difference of maintaining and repair the existing system and how the additional costs will be forwarded to the property owners.
Bob mentions a gentleman in Lorton, VA, Ramon Aguilar w/ ASAP Core interested with joining our chapter.
This year’s seminar is scheduled for September 15 at the Chesterfield Training Facility. Topics will be changes to NPFA-13, 2016 Edition and NFPA-11 Foam
requirement. Limited seating is still available. Lunch will be provided by Mission BBQ.
4) Public Relations:
Hooper advised of no new sprinkler saves at this time. Bob mentioned a fire in Fredericksburg VA at an over 55 facility where the roof was burned off portions
of the building. No other information was available.
5) Social Media:
Katie Meehan commented that there were not new developments at this time
6) Education/ Apprenticeship:
Jeff to inform the Board of a Public Service project, a 5-year plan in Henrico Co. to remodel Regency Mall with students to perform as much as they can. Jeff
informed Henrico that AFSA sprinkler contractors will assist with this scope of work. AFSA will have the opportunity to advertise our organization on a store
front window during this remodeling. Mac Beaton & Bev Cocke w/ Henrico Co spoke at our members meeting to laying out their program for the upcoming CTE projects. Richmond was also interested with what they observed at our career fair.
Need to continue conversation on our career fair to get a jump start on next year.
Bob was invited by Henrico to produce a 45-minute Pod Cast promoting our industry. The following is the link to Bob’s Pod Cast
George Wagner reported the next Burn Survivor Foundation Golf Tournament shall take place October 5, 2022, at Williamsburg National Golf course. Lunch
and dinner will be provided by O’Toole’s
Josh Shapiro and Katie Meehan are spearheading a regular happy hour the Tuesday night before the Golf Tournament
9) Community Projects:
The Hope House in Fredericksburg is on hold currently due to an unforeseen underground issue. The Director of the Hope House has another potential
project in Fredericksburg close to the Hope house project. Bob to get with the director to visit this project and make recommendations to the board.
Jason Gill announces the winner of this year’s scholarship, Symone Jensen. Jason contacted Symone to present the 1st place check for $1,000. Symone is
from the Chesapeake Chapter. The Chesapeake Chapter has indicated that the VA Chapter will be included in their next scholarship. Symone’s essay will be submitted to AFSA National with her information to be published in Sprinkler Age.
Old and New Business
1) Bob Beckwith reminded members AFSA National in Dallas to start a National Apprenticeship Program as opposed to what is provided to today which is a National Apprenticeship Curriculum.
2) Bob Beckwith mentioned how important AFSA membership is driving AHJ free membership. Our AHJ membership is outstanding.
3) Bob Beckwith informed everyone by attending AFSA meetings NICET points can be obtained at the conclusion of each meeting.
4) Meeting dates for the AFSA Board Meeting and Members Meeting are schedule for 10/4, and 11/8
5) The AFSA Annual Conference is schedule for 10/16–10/19 at Las Vegas, Nevada. Additional information to be forth coming.
6) AFSA Seminar schedule for September 15th at the Chesterfield Fire Training Facility to discuss changes to NFPA 13 2016 edition and NFPA 11 Foam requirements with consideration of Military Hangers
7) The next AFSA Board Meeting and Members Meeting is October 4th at the Four Points by Sheraton in Richmond, VA
8) BBQ Gives Back donated $12,000.00 to the Burn Survivor Foundation from the contest that took place in Urbana, VA., March 24 – 27
Member Meeting had two very informative speakers which created many questions during their presentation.
1) Program: George Bogris w/ Mintzer, Sarowitz, & Meyer, discuss ITM Service contracts and the pitfalls from not recognizing potential legal concerns
2) Vendor: Danny Genry w/ Service Trade, will follow up on George’s presentation on contracts to present to their called, “Delivered on Customer Contracts with Service Trade.”
There being no further business the Members Meeting was adjourned at 3:05pm.
• After the Members Meeting there were (2) race car drives that took on the treacherous road course at Old Dominion Raceway, Brian Welteroth w/ BJW Engineering and Chris Born w/ Clark Nexsen. With speeds exceeding 105 mph both drivers did an excellent job keeping up with the pace car. AFSA VA Chapter has already reserved this venue for next year, for those who backed out this year you have a year to get you cars ready.
Executive Director AFSA VA Chapter