Minutes of Members Meeting #155 February 1, 2022
Our November AFSA Members Meeting at Four Points by Sheraton in Richmond, VA was called to order by AFSA VA Chapter President Bob Beckwith at 1:00PM.
AFSA members and guests present included:
Bob Beckwith – United Sprinkler
Jeff Lewis – VSC Fire & Security
Jason Gill – Crews and Gregory
Hooper Loscomb—Eagle Fire
Craig Smith – Ferguson Fire
Griff Brinkley – Old Dominion Fire
Steve McGee – AFSA
Chad Waldridge – Core and Main
Chris Amorese – JCI
Bruce Allen – Hajoca
Pat Sigmon – Etec
Chris Lindsey – Etec
Shaw Hergenrather – Cornet
Chris Pickford – Victaulic
Bill Jones – Fluid /Fire Pro
Scott Monroe – Zurn
Anthony McDaniel – ACI
Dennis Welsh – JCI
Bill Tamastis – ASC
Steven Tajer – ACS
De Woodfin – FLSA
Jack Medovich – FLSA
Tom Moore – FLSA
Tony Gore – Ferguson
Chris Born – Clark Nexson
John Denhardt – AFSA National
Allan Strange – Janney Wealth
Melissa Garrett – Janney Wealth
Bob Beckwith, President, welcomed members and guests. And ask everyone to introduce themselves.
Craig Smith, Treasurer, reported that the AFSA Checking account held $25,337.02 and the AFSA Janney investment account held $64,667.54
General Assembly is in the middle of Committees on Bills. Inspector Certification License was brought about by some Fire Officials thought they would lump in those regulations, but they were not Contractors. Somehow, they got a representative to sponsor the Bill (House Bill 474) which they took our recommendations and added Line-Item D. Section shall not apply
to building officials for technical assistance enforces uniform State Building Code or Fire Officials and Technical Assistance enforcing VA Statewide Prevention Code Act.
Ed Rhodes mentioned there is a new Secretary of Labor for the State of VA. He mentioned technical Committee have discussed re-writing Regulations for Labor for DEPOR. Not sure if there are going to introduce union labor, Hooper to stay on top of this issue.
Hooper at a Board of Contractors meeting spoke on behave of NFPA and their testing criteria which is similar to the NICET which is being voted on.
Tom Klecka has scheduled the next seminar at Chesterfield Training Facility with the dates of September 15th. Tom to send out to Member’s suggestions for topics
Hooper provided a Fire Save in Henrico County on November 28, 2021, in a kitchen at a Nursing Home. First Fire Fighters entering the facility encountered heavy smoke and moderate heat. Fire Officials said the two fire sprinklers activated, controlling the fire which crews quickly extinguished. No one was displaced or injured. Current investigation of the cause of this fire is continuing.
Katie Meehan has gotten the PayPal account set up for donations and payments for the AFSA website and the Burn Survivor Foundation web site. Katie has agreed to add information to the AFSA and BSF wed sites when needed. Please provide any pics that you may draw positive attention to either wed site.
Bob spoke with Leslie Clontz with AFSA National, Apprenticeship Training
close to going on-line. Submitted paperwork to the Department of Labor,
expect two to four months for approval. National going ahead with the
Program without DOL approval. Looking for trainees. Compensation will be
$200 per session with 3 – 4 sessions per month. Testing will be done on-line.
Jeff to determine location of Career Fair. Continuing to contact Sprinkler
Contractors and Vendors to provide displays. Career Fair preliminary
scheduled between March 28 to April 1st. Jeff asks all sprinkler contractors
and vendors for their ideas and if they want to be involved.
Jeff mentioned Thomas Nelson Community College will be changing their
name to Northern Peninsula Community College due to the “woke culture”.
They have a Sprinkler Design training program that they put together, they
have also work with Cape Fear Community College to include their Fire
Alarm Training. All classes will be virtual. Instructors will be needed.
Estimated classes to begin in the Fall Semester of 2022.
The next Burn Survivor Foundation Golf Tournament shall take place October 5, 2022, at Williamsburg National Golf course. Jack thanked everyone for their continuing support and is look forward to another successful event.
Josh Shapiro mentioned quarterly webinars that is geared to NexGen folks. Next webinars are schedule for March September and November, keep a look out for additional information. Josh wish to thank everyone that attended the NexGen Social last November. Due to budget restraint looking to have only one NexGen event for the VA Chapter for 2022.
The Hope House in Fredericksburg which was voted unanimously by the
Board to go forward with this project. Bob has estimated this NFPA-13R
system to consist of 26 sprinkler heads. United Sprinkler has volunteered the
design and Eagle Fire has volunteered the installation for this project. Hajoca
will donate the materials. Bob spoke with the Director of the Facility, they are
in the process of hiring a General Contractor by April.
Craig Smith with Ferguson volunteered materials if needed.
Jason Gill provided a draft of the Scholarship Application. Scholarship essay
was modeled after the Chesapeake Chapter. Volunteers will be needed. AFSA
National to publish a picture of the winner along with their winning essay in
Sprinkler Age. The Board unanimously approved a $1,000 pay out for 1st
Place only. It was suggested for Jason to contact a Guidance Counselor to ensure
the information of the Career Fair will get to all High Schools. Subject of the
essay to be determined.
Old and New Business
- Bob Beckwith reminded members AFSA National in Dallas to start a National Apprenticeship Program as opposed to what is provided to today which is a National Apprenticeship Curriculum.
- Bob Beckwith mentioned how important AFSA membership is driving AHJ free membership. Our AHJ membership is outstanding.
- Bob Beckwith informed everyone by attending AFSA meetings NICET points an be obtained.
- Bob informed the attending members of the annual BBQ Gives Back Contest hosted by Bill Jones is scheduled for March 24–27, 2022. Visitors are welcome to observe the contestants prepare their recipes for judging.
- Meeting dates for the AFSA Board Meeting and Members Meeting are schedule for 2/1, 4/5, 6/7, 10/4, and 11/8
- The AFSA Annual Conference is schedule for 10/15–10/19 at Las Vegas, Nevada. Additional information to be forth coming.
- Tom Klecka is accepting topics for the upcoming seminar on September 15th.
- The next AFSA Board Meeting and Members Meeting is scheduled for April 5that Four Point Marriott Airport, Richmond, VA
- Tom Klecka was unanimously voted in to remain on the AFSA VA Chapter
Board for 3 additional years.
- Congratulations to Tom Moore w/ FLSA to winning the AFSA raffle. Tom donated the entire amount back to AFSA, Thanks Tom
- Program: Allan Strange & Melissa Garrett w/ The Strange Wealth Advisory Group at Janney Montgomery Scott LLC,, provide detail strategies to prepare for retirement and strategies once you retire.
- Vendor: Scott Monroe w/ Zurn Industries, provided information on SS
backflows, PRV’s and PRD’s with the proper application of each.
- Bob Beckwith introduced Bill Jones w/ Fire Pro to discuss the BBQ Gives Back program. Bill provided a description of who is involved and what to expect if you decide to visit this year’s contest March 24 – 27 in Urbana, VA. Thank you Bill for your continuing support.
There being no further business the regular meeting was adjourned at 3:03 PM.
Executive Director AFSA VA Chapter