April 2nd, 2024 Chapter Minutes

Minutes of Members Meeting #166                                April 2, 2024

The AFSA Members Meeting at Four Points by Sheraton, Richmond, VA was called to order by AFSA VA Chapter President Bob Beckwith at 1:00pm.

AFSA members and guests present included:

Chris Pickford – Victaulic

Bob Beckwith – Cavalier Sprinkler

Tom Klecka – ACI

Craig Smith – Ferguson Fire

Steve McGee – ACI

Chris Amorese – JCI

Joe Saffer – America

Chad Waldridge – Core & Main

Danielle Fowler – Potter Electric

Adam DaSilva – Hajoca

Dave Mackin – Summit

Scott Shaffner – Summit

De Woodfin – Summit

Tom Moore – Summit

Jeff Lewis – VSC

Bruce Allen – Hajoca

Krista Grimes – Viking

Anthony Shultz – Eagle

Chris Born – Cark Nexsen

MaryCatherine Coyle – Eagle

Tyler Well – Ferguson

Tony Gore – Ferguson

Mark Taylor – AASC

Dominique Rose – VSC

Shawn Walls – Hajoca

Michael Mazzucco – Summit

Josh Shapiro – Reliable

Rick Persing – PHD

Asa Baskin – Summit

James Golvinveaux – Viking

Mohamed Sesay – Summit

Anthony MaDaniel – ACI

Dan Stack – AASC

Mac Beaton – Henrico Co.

Louie Perkins – Summit

Rick Green – Summit

Mark Wagner – Hiller

Kyle Curran – General Air

Brandon Harris – Ferguson


Bob Beckwith, President, welcomed members and guests. And ask everyone to introduce themselves. Bob advised everyone that the speakers for today’s meetings will be James Golvinveaux w/ Viking and Kyle Curran w/ General Air. Bob informed the group there will be no 50/50 after the meeting. Bob advised the Board of the pending vote to elect Joe Saffer to become the new board member. Board to vote for the position of 2nd Vice-President of the AFSA VA Chapter Board.

Treasurer’s report:

Craig Smith, Treasurer, reported that the AFSA Checking account held $31,185.86 and the AFSA Janney investment account held $66,870.01.

Committee Report

  • Legislative:

Bob Beckwith reported for Hooper, that currently the Board of Governors office at the VA State level is providing a big push for regulatory reduction. The fire sprinkler agenda for townhomes was killed in the House Committee. So, it may not come up for another vote again until next year.

  • Membership

Bob reported Uponor North American which deals with material for 13R and 13D system, and a Northern Virginia Company has joined our Chapter.

  • Program:

Tom Klecka reports that our annual seminar has been set for September 12th at the Chesterfield Training Facility. Due to the number of participants that were turned away, Tom is trying to increase the capacity to 100. The morning session includes 4 hours of hydraulic calculations, the last 2 hours includes an open topic discussion of any sprinkler concern or issues. Tom is still looking for a 3rd topic, any suggestions would be appreciated.

  • Public Relations:

Bob Beckwith reported for Hooper that there were no sprinkler saves to report.

  • Social Media Committee:

MaryCatherine is continuing to update our web site with meetings, career fairs, golf, and seminar information. Mary Catherine continues to update our web site with upcoming events.

MaryCatherine encourages our members who participate in any meetings, career fairs, seminars to provide commentary of that event to potentially get posted on our web site.

Hooper reached out to all our members to get involved with Chapter events to take advantage of getting exposure of their companies.

  • Golf:

Bob reported the contract has been signed for our next AFSA BSF Golf Tournament schedule for October 9th. AFSA Board and Members meeting will be at the Double Tree by Hilton on October 8th. Special rates will be available for anyone wishing to stay at the Double Tree for the golf tournament the next day. Save the Date will be going out this week. Registration will be going out in 2 – 3 weeks.

  • NexGen:

Our Board voted unanimously to revamp the NexGen Committee to get more involved in High Schools, Community Colleges, and Trade Centers. Our Board will be reaching out for volunteers to head up this committee. The Board will be setting up interviews for NexGen Committee members in the next several weeks, prior to our next Board Meeting.

  • Community Projects:

Henrico Co has 50 lots for 50 houses for the students of Henrico Co to build including the fire protection sprinkler system with our guidance. Henrico Co students, through their current curriculum, build houses including plumbing, mechanical, and electrical. Jason is working to secure design and permits for the first house AFSA is assisting. Jeff is asking for any volunteers to help with assisting the students with this event.

Mac Beaton informed the members of his appreciation of what AFSA as accomplished. He provided more information of the houses the students of Henrico Co. are building and the future of that project.

  • Scholarship:

Jason Gill reported applications have been sent out and will continue until the deadline. Will be reaching out through social media to hopefully getting more applicates involved to take advantage of the $1,000.00 first place prize.

  • Education/Apprenticeship

Jeff discussed the AFSA Career Fair scheduled for February 27, 2024, at Regency Square Mall which attracted over 300 students, 100 more than the previous year.

Jeff informed the group of one more hurdle to clear to enact the fire sprinkler curricular. Jeff discusses the several meetings w/ DPR, NCCR and NICET developing a 2-year program with high schools for fire protection, targeting the 2025 – 2026 school year. Henrico Co has already volunteered. Trying to accomplish where a high school student would get 1 – 1½ year off their apprenticeship. AFSA has signed off on this program. NICET is on board with this program as well.

STEM FEST at Reynolds Community College had their Career Outreach Program, which was a huge success.

Bob Beckwith and Joe Saffer are working with Germanna Community College in Fredericksburg to negotiate their program accepted with National in the Community College system with the potential to start classes in the fall of 2024.

Old and New Business

  1. Bob Beckwith mentioned how important AFSA membership is driving AHJ free membership. Our AHJ membership is outstanding.
  2. Potential future Board and Members meeting dates for 2024 are October 8th, November 12th.
  3. At the conclusion of each members meeting a certificate will be available for anyone requiring NICET points. Please identify your needs to obtain a certificate when you sign in or notify Steve McGee prior to the meeting to be available after the meeting.
  4. Bob provided a letter addressing IROL for review, now with other options being discussed.
  5. 2024 AFSA National Convention, Gaylord Rockies Resort & Convention Center, Aurora, Colorado. September 18 – 24.
  6. Hooper Loscomb was voted unanimously to continue another 3 years on the Board.
  7. Joe Saffer was voted unanimously as the new member of the VA Chapter Board.
  8. Tom Klecka’s seminar is set for September 12th. Need suggestions for topics.
  9. Bob Beckwith is continuing to work with Williamsburg National to prepare for our October 9th golf tournament.
  10. Board voted unanimously for Jeff Lewis for 2nd Vice-President of the AFSA VA Chapter Board.
  11. Jason to inform the members of this years Scholarship Essay at our June meeting.


Member Meeting had two very informative speakers which created many questions during their presentation.

  1. Program: James Golvinveaux w/ Viking – James will be discussing numerous topics including Foam/ PFAS
  2. Vendor Presentation: Kyle Currin w/ General Air, Kyle will discuss his company and new products.

 There being no further business the Members Meeting was adjourned at 3:08pm.